Macintosh SE FDHD
The expandable Classic Mac with high density drives
Included a 1440K double-sided high-density disk drive - you could have two internal (no internal hard drive) and one external!
|If you are interested in upgrading the Mac SE, make sure you see the Premiere Issue of The Mac 512 User Group's Newsletter!|
The Mac SE FDHD looked the same as a regular Mac SE.
The only real change from the Mac SE to the Mac SE FDHD was the 1.44MB floppy drives. Otherwise everything else is the same. This provided 4.2MB of floppy-based storage! Plus the drives could read/write MS-DOS (IBM) floppies!
For AppleShare use: System 6.0.x and Finder 6.1 are installed by the AppleShare Client 6.x Installer disk. This machine can be used as an AppleShare file server.
For telecommunications use: Can use 9600 baud modem or lower, anything higher may cause problems. Stock Macintosh SE can be placed on the Internet, with maxed 4MB of RAM memory upgrade.
Hard Drive use: Can use the Apple's HD20 - plugs into the floppy port. Stock Macintosh SE can use any SCSI hard drive (25 pin port on back). SCSI only - Use a 2:1 interleave.
Color use: Aura Systems created an external box which outputted color from a Macintosh SE. I looked into this at one point, very expensive, about $2500.
Apple official specs
- Introduced: 8/1/89
- Discontinued: 10/15/90
- Floppy Size: 1.44MB
- Internal HD: 20 - 40MB
- Upgrade From: SE
- Upgrade To: SE/30 (There are many accelerators available from www.micromac.com and www.sonnettech.com )
- Form Factor: SE
- Weight: 17 lbs.
- Dimensions (in): 13.6 H x 9.69 W x 10.9 D
- Main Processor: 8 MHz 68000
- PMMU: none
- FPU: none
- Data Path: 8 MHz 16-bit
- Secondary Processor: none
- Slots: 1 SE PDS
- Memory on Logic Board: none
- RAM Range: 1MB to 4MB
- RAM Slots: 4 30-pin SIMM
- RAM Type: 120 ns 256K, 1MB SIMMs in groups of 2
- Notes: This system cannot use two-chip 1MB SIMMs.
- Built-in Display: 9" monochrome CRT
- VRAM Configuration: built-in CRT
- VRAM Speed: n/a
- VRAM Expansion: built in
- Color Bit Depth by Screen Resolution:
- 512x384: 1-bit
(1-bit = Black & White, 2-bit = 4 colors, 4-bit = 16 colors, 8-bit = 256 colors, 16-bit = thousands, 24-bit = millions)
- The maximum color depth listed for 640x870 is 8-bit, reflecting the capabilities of the Apple 15 inch Portrait Display
- 512x384: 1-bit
- Notes: Screen size is 512x342.
- Sound In: none
- Sound Out: mono, 8-bit
- Microphone Port: none
- ADB: 2
- Video: none
- Floppy: DB-19
- SCSI: DB-25
- GeoPorts: none
- Ethernet: none
- Microphone Port Type: none
- Ports: Printer, Modem, Speaker
- Max Watts: 100
- Amps: 0.83
- BTU per Hr: 342
- Voltage: 90-270
- Freq Range: 47-63 Hz
- Battery Type: n/a
- Addressing Modes: 24-bit
- Original System Software: 6.0.3
- Original Enabler: none
- ROM ID: $037A
- ROM Version: 0
- ROM Size: 256K
- AppleTalk Version: 48
- System Software Supported: 6.0.3 6.0.5 6.0.4 6.0.7 6.0.8 7.0 7.0.1 7.1 7.5 7.5.1 7.5.3 7.5.5
All technical information from www.apple.com
The Mac 512 is a gYounk design & programmed site.